This year I am writing a novel.
When you are drafting a piece of writing, long or short, do you use a working title? At what point do you come up with a working title? How do you come up with a working title?
For me, at least this time, I know that I would like there to be about 3 stories within the series. So, with that in my I decided that my working title is “The Nameless Files.” Perhaps not the most catching of titles but it is a start. The further I get into the actual writing of the book will lead me into a more promising title.
“Next, in importance to books are their titles.” – Frank Crane
A couple examples of great titles already out there for enjoyment:
- Janet Evanovich’s One for the Money and Two For the Dough all the way up to Twisted Twenty-Six
- Sky Lee’s Disappearing Moon Café
- Jonathan Gray’s Dead Men’s Secrets
- John Grisham’s A Time to Kill
- Philip Reeve’s Mortal Engines
What great titles come to your mind?
By Shari Marshall – 2021